Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Is Nuclear Power Really the Solution? (6/7/2011)

By: Alexis

So when I first began my research on nuclear power I first thought to myself…"Mmm, How exactly does that work again?” Shortly after, I did what any other great thinker would do…I went to youtube! :) After jogging my memory I decided to view a couple of the other videos posted. One video that I came across really caught my attention. In the video two polar bears are casually fishing and giving their take on what causes global warming. Take a look for yourself:


So after watching the video I did some more research and found out that nuclear power is being looked upon as a way to reduce global warming and the amount of air pollution being omitted. I then thought to myself “Yay!...so the polar bears are safe now…right?” Well…maybe not. After doing some more research I came across an article that explained why nuclear power may not be the answer many people are searching for. As many people know, the process of creating nuclear power produces radioactive waste. And many people also know that fossil fuels produce pollution, but did you know that as nuclear power omits tons of thermal pollution? Once the energy is released from nuclear power, which is produced from uranium, it escapes into the air, ground, water, etc. resulting in global warming.
After reading that tidbit I realized how much this related to my personal steeple, education and workforce development. I also realized how much media can impact the way people believe things without pointing out all the facts…like this political video for example. In this video, that aired this year, a women is talking about the benefit nuclear power has in regards of providing unpolluted air.
So I feel that the real message of the first video posted was that the only way to fix major problems, such as global warming and air pollution, is to really take into consideration all the facts and determine what’s best for everyone. Maybe it’s time to invest more time in renewable resources. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment